Saturday, March 24, 2012

Hello, World. Here's the Intro.

According to The Free Dictionary online, the word "hyperbole" is defined thusly:

hy.per.bo.le
n.
A figure of speech in which exaggeration is used for emphasis or effect, as in I could sleep for a year or This book weighs a ton
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HyperboLEE. It's not a misspelling... it's a great idea suggested to me by my too-cool-for-school favorite daughter (ok, I only have one daughter!)

I'm talkative, expressive, love the English language, and tend to be a bit dramatic in my everyday speech... so my daughter and I were chatting one day and I started going on and on about something in my usual bombastic and colorful language. Sometimes I'm aware I'm a little over the top, but more often I have no idea. Examples, you ask?  I'll often say something like, "I've called the guy 77 times!" I haven't reeeeally called the guy 77 times but I have called him a LOT. I might say, "I worked at KeySpan a million years ago...." Well, come on, it couldn't have been an actual MILLION years ago now, could it?  Anyway, during this particular conversation, I kinda knew I was a little over the top and I laughed and apologized to my daughter, saying, "You know how I tend to express myself. I'm the queen of hyperbole!"  She laughed in response and said, "You know, Mom, since your name is Lee, if you ever start a new blog or website, that's what you should call it: "hyperboLEE".  I chuckled and thought, "What a great idea."

So. Here we are.
           

No comments:

Post a Comment