Sunday, September 9, 2012

Today

Today is my birthday. Yay, me.  I'm still wondering where the last nine years went. Seems like yesterday I was just turning 50 and planning to move to Philadelphia.

I am learning that there is a peace in trying to take each day as it comes. It doesn't always work; we're always thinking about what we did yesterday and what we have to do tomorrow, don't we?  But I'm working on it. A dear friend of mine who is fighting cancer has always had the ability to enjoy every day, every moment as it happens. That used to annoy me sometimes because I've always been a bit of a worrier and a planner. But now I get it. I really get it, and I'm gonna try to take a page from his book. Can't do much about what hasn't happened yet anyway, right?

A few days ago, I rediscovered my jewelry blog. Started it quite awhile ago and completely forgot about it until I happened to stumble on it on my Blogger dashboard. I was going to scrap it but I've decided to keep it for awhile since I do have some followers there. (Wonder if they gave any thought to where I went and why I disappeared....? Probably not. Ha!)  Today I will post some of my latest offerings on that blog.

Today I am going to have a lovely lunch with my Favorite Daughter in Manhattan. The weather is predicted to be warm, sunny, and not humid. I had a horrible allergy/sinus attack yesterday and I was not looking forward to another warm, humid and rainy day.... and now it turns out that it's going to be exactly the kind of day I love -- it's barely going to be 80 degrees!  Thank you, Powers That Be. I know that this didn't happen solely for my benefit but I appreciate it anyway.

Yesterday I made myself a lovely lunch of Kidney Bean Dip with pita chips. Got the recipe from Nigella Lawson. It doesn't present well; in fact it looks like catsick - LOL!  But it tastes SO good.  And then I made myself a wonderful dinner of roast chicken with vegetables from a recipe from Giada DeLaurentis. Yummm.

A friend I haven't seen in many years was a strict vegan and exercise enthusiast. I used to ask her for tips on exercising and how to modify my diet. I've been trying to lose 20 pounds for the last 20 years, and I have lost it...although it came back and brought a few friends. I remember she always said, "Whatever you do, Lee, eat well."

Today I will eat well, enjoy the sunshine, and delight in the company of my daughter. But I'll probably spend a little time thinking about the next birthday, which will be one of those big ones: (cue ominous music) 60!  Friends have assured me that it won't be so bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment